I’ve been scarce… I know. In August I took over Adoptmom from Terri with so many high hopes for this business. Then life threw me some curveballs. My little girl started having some issues at school (all mostly sorted now thankfully), my little man is 2 (need I say more) and we moved house, a much longer and bigger move than I thought, even though it was literally only to the house next door. Renovations are so much more difficult than building from scratch… Especially if you are on a very limited, basically non-existent budget! I’m a perfectionist and living in a less than perfect house with loads to still do to it kills me.
Anyway, so all these high hopes for Adoptmom and very little time to actually sit down and put them to practice. But 2016 is a fresh new page, I want to follow my dream and turn this passion of mine into something my children will be proud of one day. I have had a few requests from the Adoptmom website and Facebook and every time I realise more and more just how passionate I am about adoption. My own adoption story has quietened down for the moment so I don’t seem to think about it every waking moment like I have been for the past 2 and a half years but whenever I do, I know this is what I am meant to do with my life. This is where my passion lies.
What’s new since then? I am qualified!! I now have my Diploma in Counselling and can start practising. When is the next question… I have also realised that the next course I want to do is Child and Adolescent Counselling – this is a long term goal though, possibly to start towards the end of 2016. I want to be able to help adoptees through their adoption issues as they reach those years where they have more questions…
I’ve sat down to write this blog post many times, but for some reason I can’t blog from my WordPress app on my phone or iPad. I can get it right when I sit in front of the computer yes, but sharing one with my husband makes this rather difficult. So, if anyone has any advise on how to get this to work, please help! But hey, that could also just be an excuse for not getting my butt into gear and actually doing it.
I thought that if I put my ideas and goals onto paper it would help me stay focussed, but I think publishing it to my blog will keep me even more on track as I have more than just myself to not disappoint. (Holding thumbs)
My plans for 2016:
- First stop – marketing the business. I want to get the Adoptmom name out there and help those needing guidance in this very difficult but totally worthwhile process. I’m going to get my car branded and design some awesome flyers and have them displayed at the local hospitals, schools, adoption agencies, doctors offices, libraries, notice boards etc.
- Online marketing – I need to get listed on all online directories I can find as soon as possible
- Expand my databases – if you say the name of a little town anywhere in South Africa, I want to be able to give you the name of a social worker or agency in that area
- Blog plans – I want to start writing more. Blogging got me through the most trying times in our adoption. I also want to write articles about adoption, the process, pre and post adoption, how to’s and general guidance
- Workshops – I would love to approach schools and do adoption training with the children, parents and teachers
So, in a nutshell, you now know what I have planned for 2016. And I know what I need to do and have you as my reason to stick to it
Here’s to a productive and exciting 2016!